Published: October 23, 2020 | File type: Video
India’s new helminth control paradigm
STH Coalition Secretariat
Together with Evidence Action and the COR-NTD secretariat, Children Without Worms facilitated a pre-meeting session called, “India’s new helminth control paradigm – Large-scale refinements: implementation, evaluation, and Roadmap development for India’s national soil-transmitted helminth control program.”
The annual meeting of the Coalition for Operational Research on Neglected Tropical Diseases (COR-NTD) is taking place virtually this year. Ahead of the COR-NTD meeting, individual sessions organized in October will inform a synthesized sessions at the COR-NTD meeting in November 2020.
Aim of the Session:
This session details the strategic and operational development and implementation of India’s National Deworming Day (NDD), including how leading practice monitoring and evaluation activities are now enabling the Government of India to evaluate success and develop a Roadmap for the next five years of STH control.
Specific goals include:
1. Highlight an exemplar, country-led example of how a Ministry of Health program has been conducting a complex STH deworming program across the highest burden country globally
2. Analyze India’s learnings of national and international importance, towards a refined agenda for STH control and elimination of morbidity
3. Inform global best practice around appropriate STH survey methodologies and impact assessments
- Development of the Government of India’s 5-year STH Control Roadmap: designing a ‘new chapter’ in helminth control for one of the world’s largest populations
Speaker: Dr. Sila Deb
- Mapping soil-transmitted helminths across the whole of India
Speaker: Dr. C.S. Aggarwal
- Extensive reductions in STH in large-scale expanded and school-based impact assessments in seven states of India
Speaker: Dr. Manoj Murhekar
- Evaluating the feasibility and cost-effectiveness of conducting community-based surveys of STH
Speaker: Ms. Priya Jha
Moderator: Dr. Don Bundy
Click on the link below to watch the recording!